Come skate & play for the NNYH Mites this season!
The NNYH Mites program provides a great opportunity for players to improve their skills, learn the game, and have fun along the way! NNYH Mites is open to a broad range of abilities and strives to provide the appropriate level of instruction and competition for all involved.
The upcoming 2022-2023 season is open to players born in 2014-2015 (registration now open).
The NNYH Mites program builds on the American Development Model (ADM) from USA Hockey, where players:
- Use small-area practice stations to focus on varying skating & puck handling skills
- Develop both general athletic and hockey-specific skills via 'fun' games
- Play cross-ice games, 3v3 + goalies to allow for more action for developing players
NNYH Mites teams compete in the Town Line League (TLL) against neighboring towns (e.g., Allston-Brighton, Dedham, Hyde Park, Needham, Parkway, Wellesley and Westwood). All games are at Bajko Rink in Hyde Park. The TLL games are scaled down to the size of participants (e.g., cross-ice, intermediate nets) and to promote skill development for each individual player, while encouraging a sense of teamwork, camaraderie and respect for others including teammates, coaches, opponents, officials, parents and self.
Included in costs:
- Season starts in November (TBD)
- ~18-20 games within Town Line League (Sunday mornings at Bajko Rink - Hyde Park)
- Games played 3v3 + goalie, 44-minutes with 2-minute 'buzzer' to change lines
- ~15 Weeknight ADM practices
- ~15 Saturday ADM practices
- Team jersey and socks
- A positive atmosphere!
Full hockey gear is required, including:
- Hockey helmet with full faceguard/mask
- Hockey gloves
- Shin pads
- Protective cup
- Hockey pants
- Elbow pads
- Shoulder pads
- Neck guard
- Hockey stick
Note: Team jersey and socks are provided by NNYH Mites. NNYH also provides goalie gear for each team, as Mites players rotate goaltending duties throughout the season.
NNYH Mites aim to form teams with roster sizes that maximize quality of practice time / coaching within ADM practice sessions as well as playing time during games.
Players are placed on evenly matched teams within Junior/Senior Mite Divisions with the intent of creating an environment where all players (whether more experienced or newer to the game) can develop and have fun. The program will hold a pre-season skate (September / early October) to help with team formation.
The Bavis Cup:
The Bavis Cup is an optional, end-of-season tradition for NNYH Mites hockey. It's a fun, two-day, competitive Mite hockey tournament hosted by Hyde Park Youth Hockey and in honor of Mark Bavis. Mark was one of the many who lost their lives on September 11, 2001. Participation is not mandatory / involves an additional fee, but it’s an event you won’t want to miss!
- NNYH Mites program is run by volunteers. Volunteers are needed both on and off the ice!
- All coaches and on-ice volunteers must formally register as coaches with NYH and www.usahockey.com before stepping on the ice and will need to complete a background check.
If you have any questions, please contact
Not sure about NNYH Mites? NNYH also offers Learn to Skate and Instructional Hockey programs to introduce children to skating and the great game of hockey!